When North Isn't Always Up
As of late I have begun to realize a problem that is beginning to greatly hamper the social well being of society. We are becoming a politically correct generation, which is not always bad because it helps defend many from the "tyranny of the masses," yet everyone sees some major complications. What I have realized is that there is a stark difference between predjudice and racism. Rarely are people predjudiced against another but ALMOST EVERYONE AND THEIR MOM is racist. What does it mean to be racist? It means that you identify people by their race (among other things), in the same manner you identify someone by their heritage. How many times have we shyed away from calling someone black or hispanic, instead we point out that they are '5-6 ft tall..." What I am saying is that racism (in the way I define it) is not always bad, in fact is almost never bad. It is like calling someone Canadian, it is a part of who they are. What is wrong yet I believe does not exist to any legitimate degree is when people attach irrational predjudices along with it. Another major problem I have is the prevelance of "reverse racism" where a black student union is viewed as a liberator of civil rights, while if you had a white student union... well, you catch my drift. Can't we just accept that it doesn't matter anymore? And if I offended you it is obvious that you didn't understand what I intend to say.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home