Africa!
Wow, I am not jet-lagged, I am jet-smacked! This is land is amazing and unique, but I'll get to that in a bit. A bit of travel notes first. We arrived in London at 10 am local time and toured the city for a few hours, went to Westminster... the eye of London... St. Pauls... and platform 9 and 3/4 (oh yes, can't miss that one!) A lovely city, but a pricey one at that! It is remarkable at how cultures vary, oh how did I miss trash cans (er waste receptacles) and waterfountains that are so hard to find in London! It was hilarious as I routinely crashed into people as I would walk to my right and they went to their left in passing!
We arrived back at the airport and shortly got on our plane. I fell asleep on the plane. I woke up, we hadn't moved. I slept again. Awoke again without moving. I was beginning to question my ability to sleep longer than 15 seconds and then discovered that there was a problem on the plane. Apparently a gauge was broken that kept us from flying. They got another plane out of the hangar for us but just as we were about to board it (while waiting in a shuttle on the tarmac) they told us that the airport in Uganda would not be able to receive us any later than scheduled! We had to stay the night!!! they gave us vouchers to stay the night in a hotel and for breakfast/lunch the following day. We finally got in and settled at about 3:30 in the morning!!! I then slept until 2:30 in the afternoon!!! I missed breakfast and lunch, but it sure was worth it... I felt amazing afterwords. The flight to Uganda was uneventful, aside from the person next to me who felt the need to share her personal bubble with me!
I am amazed by everything here. The streets are packed, but there are no lines, no stoplights, and no rules. Everyone just zips around inches away from each other! People live on about a dollar a day I hear, yet most people have cell phones (I am going to get one soon for about $20). The land is constantly muddy and dusty, but everyone stays remarkably clean looking. The men all wear button up shirts and slacks while the women wear long skirts, no joke... everyone. Everyone gets such a kick out of us, the mozungus! I hope I can learn some of the language soon so I can talk back to them casually (they all speak English as a second language, but the dominant language is Lugandan).
Our house is actually really nice, we have a shower and bathroom, with a kitchen and a tall wall with razarwire and an intense gate! I feel incredibly safe there. We also have a 24 hour guard with a gun ("first two shots in the air, the third at their legs!"). Our group is fantastic, I think this is all going to be a grand adventure!!!
Well, I am way too tired to say anything too remarkable! Hope all is well over there on the other side of the world!!!!!
Cheers,
Scott
We arrived back at the airport and shortly got on our plane. I fell asleep on the plane. I woke up, we hadn't moved. I slept again. Awoke again without moving. I was beginning to question my ability to sleep longer than 15 seconds and then discovered that there was a problem on the plane. Apparently a gauge was broken that kept us from flying. They got another plane out of the hangar for us but just as we were about to board it (while waiting in a shuttle on the tarmac) they told us that the airport in Uganda would not be able to receive us any later than scheduled! We had to stay the night!!! they gave us vouchers to stay the night in a hotel and for breakfast/lunch the following day. We finally got in and settled at about 3:30 in the morning!!! I then slept until 2:30 in the afternoon!!! I missed breakfast and lunch, but it sure was worth it... I felt amazing afterwords. The flight to Uganda was uneventful, aside from the person next to me who felt the need to share her personal bubble with me!
I am amazed by everything here. The streets are packed, but there are no lines, no stoplights, and no rules. Everyone just zips around inches away from each other! People live on about a dollar a day I hear, yet most people have cell phones (I am going to get one soon for about $20). The land is constantly muddy and dusty, but everyone stays remarkably clean looking. The men all wear button up shirts and slacks while the women wear long skirts, no joke... everyone. Everyone gets such a kick out of us, the mozungus! I hope I can learn some of the language soon so I can talk back to them casually (they all speak English as a second language, but the dominant language is Lugandan).
Our house is actually really nice, we have a shower and bathroom, with a kitchen and a tall wall with razarwire and an intense gate! I feel incredibly safe there. We also have a 24 hour guard with a gun ("first two shots in the air, the third at their legs!"). Our group is fantastic, I think this is all going to be a grand adventure!!!
Well, I am way too tired to say anything too remarkable! Hope all is well over there on the other side of the world!!!!!
Cheers,
Scott

2 Comments:
WOW! So intense! I'm glad that you're safe! What an adventure.
I'm glad you are not dead yet. Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment
<< Home