
This is the "kitchen" for the school where we were building a stove. It was so smokey, a testament as to why we were building these things.



Washing our feet in the NILE! It was awesome, there were tons of people doing their laundry and swimming. Even naked kids jumping out of trees. Yes, this is Africa.

Carrying the adobe for the stoves...

This woman approached me at the banks of the Nile saying "you forgot me!" and then posed. I thought it was kinda funny until I realized that she had probably never had her picture taken in her life. This was a very poor area we were in.

This is David, our guard... he carries a rifle. Oh yeah, our "compound" (house area) has a 10 ft high stone wall with razerwire, add David to the mix and I feel pretty safe!

Edith, our cook... now if we could only get some hamburgers. The food here is actually pretty good, however it is rather bland. Their staple is mitoke (spelling is horrendous) which is plantane mashed up like mashed potatoes. They also eat rice and beans (unflavored) with everything! It isn't bad and can be quite savory if you are super hungry (as I usually am).

"We can combat illitracy"... haha. This is one of the schools we will be working with. It is one of the poorer ones full of orphans and the poor with class sizes reaching over a hundred!

They may be poor, but imagine having this as your backyard!

Yes, that is a grasshopper... they don't taste that bad. Especially if you just swallow them at once.

This is our group! We were learning how to make adobe stoves and the process that goes into them. The Africans were helping out (or, as was the case with the children, just wanting to be in a picture).
4 Comments:
Wow. Beautiful pictures! Crazy stories!
You're still not dead!
The Nile?! That's pretty awesome. I hope you are having a great time!
That woman that posed for you has the most beautiful eyes. I'm glad you are having an excellent trip and helping people!
what an adventure! thanks for documenting it so we can take part!
Post a Comment
<< Home